We regret to inform you that Community Action no longer offers Legal Assistance. If you need to collect paperwork for a legal matter for which you were being assisted, please call (805) 436-4033, leave a message and someone will get back to you within 48 hours. For your convenience we have posted alternative legal services below where you may receive assistance.
Legal Aid Resources
1. Conejo Free Clinic of Thousand Oaks
80 E. Hillcrest Dr., Suite 102
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
* Assistance limited to documents preparation and advice (no representation)
* Open to the public only on Tuesdays from 7:-9:00 p.m. Walk in basis only, 1st come 1st served.
1st Tues: General, Family & Criminal Law
2nd Tues: Family, Wills, Trust & Estates
3rd Tues: Bankruptcy and LL/Tenant issues
4th Tues: Family Law and Immigration
2. Free Clinic of Simi Valley
2060 Tapo Street
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Mon-Thurs.: 5 pm-8 pm
Fridays: 5 pm-7 pm
Please call during hours of operation.
* Legal clinic in Family Law, LL/Tenant and Consumer issues, Medicare & dental services - by appointment only
3. Grey Law
290 Maple Ct., Suite 128
Ventura, CA 93003
M-Th: 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
* Free legal assistance for Senior citizens with consumer law, power of attorney and Social Security intervention
4. Housing Rights Center
Los Angeles Office:
520 Virgil Ave., Ste. 400
Los Angeles, CA 90020
Toll Free: (800) 477-5977
* Non-profit organization that provides free landlord and tenant counseling
** Investigates housing discrimination complaints throughout the counties of Los Angeles and Ventura.
5. Jewish Family Services
1915 E. Main Street
M-Thu 8 am-3 pm
* Free non-denominational legal clinic. Monday evenings by appointment only in the following areas: Child custody, support, spousal abuse, restraining orders, consumer law, BK, wills & trusts, personal dispute involving LL/tenant, and prep for Small Claims Court.
6. Santa Clara Valley Legal Aid
642 Lemon Way
Fillmore, CA 93015
*Ask for Laura Bartels-Attorney
**Assistance in the areas of: Family law, LL/Tenant, Social Security Disability, Consumer, Senior and Civil law
Services are free. Guidelines are based from Ventura County Court’s fee waiver form.
***Office is open to the public every Thursday at 6:00 p.m. Walk-ins only. First come/first serve.
7. Self-Help Legal Access Center
800 South Victoria Ave. - 4th Floor, Room 400
Ventura, CA 93003
M-F 8am-12 & 1:30-4:00 pm
Civil Cases only
8. Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement
1200 Paseo Camarillo
Camarillo, CA 93010
M-F 9 am - 4:30 pm
* Disputes matters in LL/Tenant, Neighborhood/ Community (noise, use of common property, homeowner associations & mobile home) **Employer/Employee, Small Claims, Consumer/Merchant, Family/Domestic, Real Estate, Civil Cases, Group Conflicts & School Truancy.
***Sliding fee scale.
9. Catholic Charities
303 N. Ventura Ave.
Ventura, CA 93001
* Attorney Mr. Ford, is available each Friday 9 am-12 noon to assist with civil cases only.
10 2-1-1 Information and Referral Search
11 Ventura County Bar Association’s Volunteer Lawyers Service Program, Inc.
Assistance in the areas of:
• Family Law ( spousal and child support issues-only assist with the defense side. Does not assist in getting support.
• LL/Tenant (only assist tenants)
• Consumer/Civil Law (Defense side only, does not seek money.
338 South A Street
Oxnard, CA 93030
Assists low income families in the areas of education, public benefits, employment/Labor, Housing (Section 8 voucher holders, Public housing, low income/tax credit housing and foreclosure/modifications).