Home Energy Assistance Program


Need help with your gas or electric bill? This program can help you!


Download HEAP Application:  (Adobe Flash required) 


Established in 1981, HEAP is a federally funded program that helps low-income households pay their energy bill. Eligibility is based on the household's total monthly income, which cannot exceed 60% of the Area Median Income. The program is designed to target households with low-incomes and high energy costs, taking into consideration households with elderly and disabled persons, and children under six. This means there could be households that received assistance in the past and will no longer receive assistance because they fall into a low priority group and are not considered among the neediest of the needy. The amount of assistance is based on the number of persons in the household, total gross household income, the cost of energy within the county the households resides, and funding availability. HEAP provides one payment per program year. The statewide maximum payment for program year 2021 is $484; the minimum payment is $256. Under most circumstances it takes approximately 8-12 weeks to process an application and fund the application. However, an incomplete/incorrect application will take additional time to process.

(Persons living in board-and-care facilities, nursing or convalescent homes, or in jail or prison, are not eligible for HEAP)


Utility companies throughout the state offer reduced rate programs. Customers should contact their utility company to find out if their provider offers such a program and to request an application.


Document Checklist


1. Valid Picture California Identification

2. Social Security Card

3. Current gas detailing terms

4. Current electric bill detailing terms and kilowatt usages (All Pages)

5. Income documentation for all adult (18+) household members during the previous 4 weeks (paycheck stubs must show gross amounts received)

6. Rental or house payment receipt for the current month (Rent or Contract, Sec 8/Housing or Mortgage Statement)


In addition: Cal Works/TANF recipients must bring/send current Notice of Action or Memo from your case worker showing amounts received for the month. SSI/SSA recipients must have current benefit letter from the Social Security Office or bank statement showing direct deposit of funds. Proof of Unemployment Benefits, Disability, Child Support, Retirement, Alimony, etc., must be dated within the last 30 days. To set up an appointment or arrange for an application to be mailed to you, 


Call our message center at 805-436-4021 or 805-436-4000 to find out how to submit your application or any questions.